The Sawyer PointONE water filtration system
Highest Filtration Rates Available (even more details)
At 0.1 micron absolute, it is impossible for any bacteria, protozoa or cysts to pass through the filter.
With the technology derived from kidney dialysis, Sawyer worked with a fiber manufacturer to actually improve
the hollow fiber membrane technology. In order to improve both the filtration rates and longevity of the filter, they
needed something even more precise and rugged. The fiber composition had to deliver exactly 0.1 & 0.02 micron
filtration 100% of the time to ensure no bacteria would get through, and the membranes had to be sturdy enough to
withstand backwashing which allows the filter to be cleaning and reused.
THE 0.1 MICRON ABSOLUTE DIFFERENCE
• fiber walls are thicker and more robust than other Hollow Fiber Membranes. This allows for higher pressure both for filtering and for backwashing. Sawyer filters can handle 60 PSI forward and 20 PSI backwards.
• all pores more uniform in size.
• allows for more pores giving better flow and less cleaning.
• design has a self priming mechanism to eliminate air locks making them much easier to restart.
• 100% tests all filters to insure no pore is larger than 0.1 micron.
• 100% flow tests all filters to insure adequate flow.
• 100% tests filters after final assembly to insure quality.
• There is nothing to wear out inside the filter. If water is flowing, it’s good.
• The 0.02 micron purifier has all the advantages of the 0.1 micron filter but with 0.02 micron pores.
• It is the only filter that removes viruses so effortlessly. Gravity does all the work.
• There are no harmful chemicals or heavy metals in the filter.
THE BENEFIT OF CONTINUOUS BACK FLUSHING CAPABILITIES
At this point we do not know what the lifetime limitations of the fibers are. We have working filters that have been in continuous use for over six years and we have filters which have filtered hundreds of thousands of gallons of water.
Sawyer’s fibers are so robust, they can be backwashed and reused perpetually.
• When backwashing, even the stubborn dirt can be forced off the fibers.
• Sawyer’s robust fibers will not “wear out” over time.
• Sawyer fibers will not break or become damaged if dropped. Only breaking the sealed casing and “playing” with fibers or freezing the cartridge after it is wet could damage the fibers. CONTINUAL IMPROVEMENTS Since 2008, Sawyer has made numerous improvements to make the filter system easier to use and to accommodate cultural nuances.
• When people started opening the filters to see and touch the fibers we welded the casing closed.
• When they dropped the filters and broke them, we increased the strength of the filter casing.
• Include pictorial guides for both cleaning and set-up.
• Include a picture label affixed to the bucket showing how to clean the filter.
• Changed to special colored tubing that will not show the dirt nor promote algae growth in the tube.
• Designed an easier method to remove the filter for cleaning which also allows it to be used on standard 28mm plastic bottles. This adds a whole new portable dimension for the user. • We designed a bucket fitment that is more forgiving if the hole is not perfectly round and also prevents kinking of the tube. • We added a removable cap to keep the end of the filter clean.
• Developed a cleaning coupling that can be used to backwash the filter with a plastic bottle in case the syringe is lost or damaged.
Since there is such a high flow rate, this eliminates the need to store water which reduces the chances of
water being contaminated after it is filtered. The only external force required for the system to function is GRAVITY.
The flow rate of a filter is determined by a combination of:
Head pressure (The distance from the top of the water to the filter)
Altitude (The higher the altitude, the slower the flow rate)
How clean the filter is
The filter itself (there are slight variations between filters)
Maintenance of this filter is very simple. When the filter starts to slow down or clog, simply back wash it with clean
water using the syringe provided in the kit. Since the filters can continuously be back-washed and reused, they
have an extremely long life expectancy. The ease of operating this system makes it self-sustainable and dependable.
These filters and purifiers make water so clean and accessible that people will not only use the filtered/purified
water for drinking, but also for cleaning, bathing, cooking, watering plants and more.
The bucket system is essential for aid in natural disasters. This system would eliminate the need to ship
Community filters are $50 (not including shipping) and will provide enough clean water for 100 people per
day. If maintained properly, they will last for many years.
We are following in the footsteps of others who have brought millions clean water access.
Our main source of inspiration will always be Waves for Water, where they do this same work
and promote in the Surfing industry.
They have successfully brought 7,500,000 people clean water access already with their work.